Your Acid Reflux Doctor Near Bethpage Can Help
If you’ve been afflicted with acid reflux for a while, you need to see the experts at Digestive Medical Care of Long Island. This is where you’ll find the right Acid Reflux Doctor near Bethpage to help you have better digestive care. There are some things you can do that will likely be part of the advice given by these doctors. It’s important to your overall health to lessen the impact of acid reflux on your life so that it doesn’t show up after every meal.
Things You Can Do to Avoid Acid Reflux
Try some of these tips and see if they help you with the acid reflux symptoms you feel regularly:
- Check Your Medications – What medications are you currently taking? Some of them can cause inflammation in your stomach and upset your stomach acid. If the medication requires you to take it with food, are you following the instructions? Ask your Acid Reflux Doctor near Bethpage to learn if your medications are part of the problem.
- Quit Smoking – Nicotine is known to relax the lower esophageal sphincter and that releases stomach acid into the esophagus to cause the discomfort that comes from acid reflux and heartburn.
- Lose Weight – If you’re carrying excess weight around your bell, you need to try and lose this weight to take the pressure off of your diaphragm and allow it to operate properly. Weight loss can be good for your overall health if you’re carrying extra weight.
- Sleep on an Incline – Your head should be higher than your feet to avoid stomach acid entering your esophagus. Use a foam wedge or put risers under the head of your bed to achieve an included sleeping position.
- Take it Slow After a Meal – When you’re done eating, you shouldn’t plan on moving too fast and engaging in strenuous exercise. If you have workouts planned after eating, try and space them out a couple of hours apart to make sure you don’t cause heartburn or acid reflux.
- Stay Upright After Eating – After you get done eating, it’s a good idea to stand up and stay standing for a little while. Taking a walk after a meal is always a good idea because gravity can help keep acid in your stomach where it belongs. Try to eat at least three hours before bed to avoid issues during the night.
- Eat Slower – One of the most common factors in acid reflux is the speed with which you eat. Try to eat slower and take sips of water between bites to avoid causing heartburn after the meal.
Find More Information With the Right Team
The Acid Reflux Doctor near Bethpage at Digestive Medical Care of Long Island can provide you with several additional tips to avoid getting acid reflux and heartburn. Adding some simple items into your daily life can make a huge difference in your digestive health and your enjoyment of your life.